Records in piano

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:50:12 -0800

> It's either the equivalent of marking the piano with urine as territory,
or
> an attempt to render reasonably decent service by leaving useful
> information in the piano such as tuning dates, with temperature and
> humidity, and the name and phone number of the perpetrator of the alleged
> tuning in case the piano owner wants more similar abuse at a later date.
>
> Your call.
>
> Ron N

"marking the piano with urine"

Yes, in my long & illustrious career in the piano business, I have been
tempted to mark quite a number of pianos in this manner, though perhaps for
baser reasons than you suggest.  This urge is usually accompanied by a
determination to paste a sticky note on my pda (I have whole-heartedly
plunged into the computer age, you know) to tranfer to the appropriate 3 X 5
card when I get home, in order to jog my feeble memory next time the owner
of this PSO (or did I mix up those letters?) calls, to make sure I have
booked my holidays and must refer them to my esteemed
competition/colleagues.

I must say, though, that I have enjoyed scanning through the list of tuners
going way back to the turn of the century, just to get a sense of history on
some of these old pianos.  A lot of the old-timers had really beautiful
hand-writing.  I never bother to scratch my name, though this is the "turn
of the century" -- I never figured the old clunkers stood a chance of
lasting to the next turn of the century anyway.  For sure, I won't last that
long.  The mortality rate never changes you know -- always 100%.  After
almost 30 years of admirable self-control, I doubt that I'll start marking
the territory--but it is tempting!!  :-)

Otto