h'chord LM

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:32:28 -0600

I have just a couple of additions to this:

1) The jack needs to hang by the damper, if not the damper will not
work. THis is especially true in transposing instruments.
2) Staggering the choirs properly is critial to the touch. This will
require some lost motion. Often the 4' or the back 8' will pluck
first, with less lost motion. The front 8' is usually last, requiring
quite a bit.
3) You need to set the first plucking choir so the quills are just
under the strings (maybe a 1/16), without the dampers involved. Then
adjust the dampers so that they are on the string when the jack is at
rest, permitting the quill to slide under the string. Then couple,
and turn on the 4', and smoothly play the note on the bottom 8', you
should hear the three plucks distinctly.

4) Staggering is also affected by voicing, the stiffness of the
quills will determine when they pluck, if you change a quill or
revoice, you must check the staggering.

Frank Hubbard has an old good pamphlet on harpsichord regulating that
might still be available.

Ed is right, if you dont know what you're doing be careful before you
turn too many screws.

----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT
New Orleans