Sustain was Re: 1974 M & H B

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:26:40 -0700

	There is a very good case for less sustain in performance of 18th to
early 19th century music for piano. One piece of evidence is pedal
marking in a couple Beethoven sonatas. Beethoven very specifically tells
the performer to hold the pedal down for several measures in at least a
couple passages (I don't remember precisely which pieces off hand,
except that they are late sonatas). Taking that literally on a modern
piano results in clangorous mud. So for modern performance practice with
a modern instrument, we tend to flutter pedal such passages (lightly
bounce the dampers on the strings) to produce the proper effect. But I
am quite certain Beethoven meant the indications to be taken literally -
and it works on an authentic period piano, because rapid decay clears
the sound adequately.
	But the argument
"that there is virtually no music
> written from any time period that requires more then half of this
> sustain level
	is utter hogwash. No question Debussy, for instance, expected and
required much more sustain than Beethoven. Not to mention Rachmaninov,
Rubenstein, etc, etc.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico