Grand piano jack, etc.

James Ellis claviers@onemain.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:40:48 -0500

I have been reading your various posts re concert grand trucks, stage
dollys, lifts, etc.  Several years ago, I made a special screw jack for
lifting grands.  It has a wide "footprint" that straddles the grand leg,
and it won't turn over.  You can lift one leg of a concert grand without
fear that it will topple.  It's far superior to that "jack-in-the-box"
thing.  Except for the screw and its metal housing, the thing is made of
spruce, and weighs no more than a small metal jack.  As I say, it's very
sturdy, has a wide footprint, and it won't turn over.  You can lift one leg
of a concert grand, and take the leg away for repair without fear that the
thing will fall while you are away.  It won't fall, even if someone pushes
on it.  I have also used it for positioning a stage truck under a concert
grand, one leg at a time.  If there is much interest in this thing, perhaps
I could talk Paul Jansen into producing it for sale.

Jim Ellis