Pin block dope mess

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:17:36 EST

Jeff Stickney writes:

> My problem is this:  What can
> I use to clean this [pinblock dope] off the plate for refinishing?

I'd say don't use any hotter solvent than necessary. It depends upon the
plate finish, and which pin dope. Start with soapy water. We wash plates with
TSP and water (tri-sodium phosphate). If you're lucky, it's the
glycerin-based dope, and TSP will get it. Alcohol would too, but some plates
are shellac and alcohol is also the solvent for shellac. Lacquer thinner is
the next hotter solvent, and will get the dope but soften even more plate
finishes.

You can get TSP at most professional paint stores and most hardware stores.
If you use it, be sure that it is truly tri-sodium phosphate and not "TSP
brand" cleaner, which is not TSP. Rinse very thoroughly.

You've indicated that it is slow to come off tools with "Goof-off," so it's
possible that either it's some mystery compound, or it might have combined
with the plate finish. In that case you're on your own!  Even lacquer thinner
probably won't cut the japanning. Shellac makes a good barrier coat. Please
let us know what you find.

Bob Davis