Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:36:41 -0700

My guess is that they used original dimension parts, i.e. 15.5 mm knuckle
placement.  I have seen this done frequently from a reputable rebuilder out
of New York.  That is not likely to work with newer heavy hammers that
probably out weigh the old ones by 2-3 grams and duplicate an action ratio
of 6.0 or higher.  Measure the knuckle dimension.  You may be able to
address the problem by cutting the knuckle off, cutting a new slot in the
17mm position and gluing in a new knuckle.  A thorough measurement of the
action ration would be helpful.  If the capstan is already forward to the
edge of the rest cushion then moving the capstan can be problematic.
Moreover, a 15.5 knuckle mounting with newer heavier hammers is likely to
push friction readings higher than is desirable.  You don't necessarily
need to start over completely, but some changes are in order.  If you want
to be more precise, you will have to rehang the hammers on proper shanks.
That will also give you the opportunity to taper the hammers and adjust the
weight to match the new ratio you will be creating.   I would tell the
customer exactly what you have found and the remedy should they want to
undertake correcting the problem.  Don't make the problem yours.  Present
the information and the options and let them make the decision.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net