damper lever ht.

Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:42:36 -0500

At 12:07 9/11/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Fred's right Wim....The best way of fixing the (teflon bushed) short-lever
>problem we've found here is to install a new current production back-action
>from Steinway. It's really easy to do right out of the box with the only
>adjustments needed being the left to right alignment. I think it runs about
>$900. Installing it also allows (forces?) you to convert to a floating
>pitman which is a good thing.
>
>Eric
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Eric Wolfley

Gee, guys and gals, thanks...

You make me feel like a pianochondriac.   Oh, yeah... I've got that
problem, too - only worse, right?

This morning I was doing a damper timing job on a teflon B.  Pianist was
complaining about stuff and i noticed that they were mostly way late - made
for funny sounds with deep throated wedges not quite clearing the strings.

OK, OK, i  know the thing to do there is put on new felt, or at least trim
them, but that's not what i'm noticing.  One of the things the fella
mentioned was some ringing.

If the dampers are too late,  then they are obviously not sitting on the
key ends and there is lost motion in the pedal so that they are not resting
on the tray.

Why does he think that they are not damping properly?

I cogitated whilst getting the beasties to stop doing the twist after I
lowered them.  (almost set off the smoke detectors)

Methinks that he has been resting his foot on the damper pedal just enough
for that short armed lever to lift the back damper felt up - half pedalling
without trying!  Does this sound right or has the CA finally gotten to me?

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.