damper lever ht.

Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:27:38 -0500

Mary,

At 16:40 9/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Conrad,
>Oh yeah, sounds right. Watch his technique with the pedal. Perhaps you
>need to raise the underlevers a bit to allow a little more play between
>back of key and underlever. If the damper felts have settled way down into
>the strings, the underlever height may have changed. Check to make sure
>that the dampers are not lifting from the strings until the hammer is
>halfway to the string, or the key is halfway depressed.

I actually just _lowered_ the levers because they were late - just picking
up at 1/2" or less from the string.

>  And then check height of the tray and make sure that there is sufficient
> lost motion between pedal and tray.

Did that and there is just barely any air between the tray and the dags -
the tray had been sitting on the pedal and that was the first (easiest)
thing I changed.

The main problem is, IMMHO, that the arc of the underlever end/damper block
is so far off from being tangent to the damper wire that the dampers start
lifting from the back with little added weight noticable to the foot.  Add
to that, the fact that just moving the tray moves the underlever flange in
an arc which moves the damper wire before you get in contact with the
bottom of the levers.   You don't really feel the dampers lift until the
front starts up.  I did a quick and dirty job so there still _is_ some
unevenness to the lift, so undoubtedly there is some problem from that,
[and I will get back into the studio next week to do fine regs] but you
still don't feel the lift until the bulk of the _front_ lifts.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.