New shop

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:57:31 -0600

Dale,
=20
Thanks. Good site and ideas. I like the two room idea, but how do you
keep dirt/dust from being tracked or blown from the dirty side to the
clean side? Is there a "buffer" entrance, completely separate entrances,
or do you wipe your feet off better than I do? I used to have my shop
inside my house and every time I'd leave it you could see exactly where
I'd gone.
=20
Jim Busby
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Dale Probst
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 6:22 PM
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: RE: New shop
=20
Jim,
Check out Woodshop Dust Control and  Setting Up Shopl- Sandor
Nagyszalanczy, and The Workshop Book-Scott Landis(all on Taunton Press)=20
There is some shareware available at
http://www.inthewoodshop.org/software/software.shtml that I have found
useful, especially ShopDesigner.
Shop design is a pretty individual thing and usually ordered by the type
of work you do the most, the size of your shop and budget (not
necessarily in that order). We are in process on two shop areas- one
"clean" and one "dirty". The clean area is climate controlled, no noisy
or dust producing power tools allowed, an air cleaner running 24/7. The
dirty shop contains a list of the usual suspects- routers, sanders,
power saws, drill presses etc. The dust collector lives there, the
compressor lives between the shops in its own little cubbyhole to serve
both shops.  Don't forget safety equipment, especially for the eyes,
lungs and ears.=20
You might check the pianotech archives for some posts on the subject
some time back.
Best,
Dale
=20