Practice room grands

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:45:54 -0400

>        If you check the archives Dave has talked about excessive string
>breakage in the past.  There were some comments from members on this list
>that the professors and the students are using excessive force to play the
>pianos at his school.  I was not part of the discussion, but I remember
>following it.
>
> Tim Coates
> University of South Dakota
> University of Sioux Falls

Parts of that discussion were also reprinted in the Journal either in
August or September.

I think if the students were having to pay for the cost of replacing the
strings they break, and for the recurring touch-up tunings, etc., (i.e. if
these were their own personal instruments) they would change their playing
technique.  It's easy to be an "artist" when you don't have to pay for the
damage.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
Piano Technician