Tuning Steinway Verticals

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:05:04 -0500

My small opinion, I agree totally about settling the tuning pin, you
need to flex it a little (a wiggle?) before you leave the note even
after test blows. But, my feeling about these, and this is just a
feeling, is that the problem is not too much friction but too little
seperation between the tuning pin side and the speaking length. We
all now how too much agraffe friction feels, you pull and pull and
nothing happens until suddenly you are too far past it. This can be
terrible if the pins are loose. In the Steinways case even putting on
the tuning hammer can cause an alarming wow in the pitch. I have an
1880 vertical, and have restored a number of similar ones, where even
leaning on the tuning pin will not produce such a drastic effect.
These have no plate bushings and a massive capo bar as well and no
flex problems. So, IMHO, I'm not convinced that pin bushings and less
friction will really solve the problem.

----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT
New Orleans