performance piano - student psychopathology 101

Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:08:29 -0700

I've found that a couple of deep stitches in the 1:30 to 3:00 (and 9:00 to
10:30) with a single glover's needle can open that area of the hammer in
preparation for needling closer to the strike point.  But no more than two
or three single stitches on either side.   Once the shoulder shows some
squeeze, then its time to release tension nearer to the crown.  A single
sharp penetrating parallel to the moulding off the strike point will
release tension without having to pulverize the shoulder or risk cutting
the fibers so that the hammer will start to tear.  I don't prefer to needle
deep into the crown of a Yamaha, Renner or Abel hammer because I find it
just kills them too much.  I do find that using a tool with three sharps
and entering at a point very close to the crown but with the needles
pointing outward toward the shoulder will release tension from the outer
layers of felt and warm up the tone considerably without killing it.
Imagine a round circle under the strike point.  Starting at 10:30 and 1:30
with a triple needle, needle toward the strike point (with the needles
pointing away from the strike point) keeping the angle of the needles
tangent to the circle.  Penetrate the felt from 1-4 mm.  Stop before you
get to the strike point.  You can then either sugar coat the strike point,
or, as I prefer, take the triple needle and separate some of the layers of
felt in by needling across the strike point (needles perpendicular to the
core, parallel to the shank).  Separate only 1 mm or less to begin with.
Set the felt with a small hammer and test.   For me, this produces a sound
that maintains power at the upper end, but gives the greatest range of
color in between without compromising sustain.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net