performance piano - student psychopathology 101

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:46:48 -0400

Mike wrote:
>      Another trick is to drop a pulverized damper felt down the crack on the
bass end of the keyframe essentially putting the una corda on slightly.  Even
though the rest position and string groove alignment doesn't change visibly, the
tone will.  I suspect the felt adjacent to forming string grooves puffs up so if
you pull out the damper felt after a few days it will again mellow the piano
slightly.
>     Slight changes make pianists most happy, are safest, and save wear and tear.
Pianists adjust as the piano brightens so they think it is still mellowed even
though it's back where it was a few days earlier.
> Deception, I confess,
>
> -Mike Jorgensen

Mike-

This is similar to putting index cards between the left stop block and the key
frame.

Are you and I the only technicians doing this? Maybe recording studio technicians?

Since it is fast (30 seconds!) and instantly reversable, it is very handy just
before a recital.

I like using the index cards because you can give the performer a choice of how
many cards to use, enabling him/her to be in charge and make the decision when the
timbre is right.

Ed Sutton