performance piano - student psychopathology 101

Jorgensen, Michael L jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:15:00 -0400

Ed,
    I learned that trick by accident.   A pianist complained about the thunk upon release of her una corda pedal.   I didn't find the thunk atypical.  Confounded, I spotted an old piece of damper felt in my case, so I pulverized it and dropped it down the crack to see if it might help which it did.   I couldn't see any change in string alignment and the piano sounded about the same to me.

Later I met the pianist in the hall and our conversation went about like this,

Pianist:  Thanks for fixing that thunk and also voicing my piano, it sounds great!!

Me: ... uh ... duh... well....Oh yes!, I'm glad you like it.