Bluthner Question

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:57:26 -0700

At 02:14 PM 9/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Are there any "tricks" to tuning the Bluthner grand? What is the 4th
>string tuned to?

I got on fairly well with the four-string section by using two mutes.
I keep the fourth string muted off while I put a good unison on the
other three. Then I add the fourth string and see what happens to the
tone and clarity (usually worse). I move the fourth string a
little till I like the sound, and then pluck it to be sure I
haven't moved it right off the pitch.

A couple of times through the process, and it goes quite quickly.
Once it is stable, the fourth string seems to add some durability
to the unisons, which is pleasant. But I think that the real
reason for it was to increase sustain by making the unisons less
"white"-perfect.

Susan