Tuning Steinway Verticals

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:57:57 -0400

Ed, this thread is probably dead now, so I apologize for just now replying.

I have a few war stories on these pianos as well!.

#1. At a certain point in my career, I reached a tuning 'plateau' (there
have been many) where I was just about as cocky as could be. Then I had a
call on a Steinway vertical. I didn't know from '1098' at the time. I'm a
lefty BTW, for whatever that's worth, and at the time was strictly an aural
tuner, likewise for what that's worth. Funny thing, all my usual tests were
falling into place as I tuned. Then, for the final test, I played the
piano. Dog meat! I couldn't figure out what I did wrong, and didn't charge
the customer for that tuning, a pretty rare event for me.

#2. I later mentioned the incident to George Defebaugh (remember him?) and
asked why I was unable to get satisfactory results. He replied, "Heh, heh,
heh, nobody can!" He went on to say that we must always do the best we
can... and that we must always get paid! He also suggested that these
pianos have a tendency to "flagpole". I heard him use that expression many
times in regards to tuning pins, bridge pins, etc.

#3. Karla Pfennig, a former PTG member and tuning examiner, sailed through
her original tuning test. It happened that her own piano, and
coincidentally her tuning 'practice' piano was a '1098'. She was ignorant
about the peculiarities of this model and just toughed it out. Needless to
say tuning -any- other piano thereafter was like falling off a log.

Regards,
-jh-