frequencies of notes

Elwood Doss, Jr. edoss@utm.edu
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:12:53 -0500

MessageThanks, Don.
I am looking for the frequencies of a Pythagorean tuning, although I see =
what you are talking about when you state that it depends on what note/fr=
equency I want to start.  What I was wanting to do was compare untempered=
 note frequencies to tempered note frequencies.  Does that make sense?  I=
 kinda feel like the little boy who was in Military School, and his mothe=
r was bragging to her friends that of 1000 cadettes, he was the only one =
in step!  Oh well, sometimes it rains all week.
Have a great one.
Joy!
Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr., RPT
Technical Director/Piano Technician
Department of Music
106 Fine Arts Building
University of Tennessee at Martin
731/587-1152
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Don Mannino=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 12:55 PM
  Subject: RE: frequencies of notes

  Elwood,

  I think what you want is frequencies for equally tempered notes, isn't =
it?  Remember, it is the intervals that are tempered, not the notes.  The=
 differences between 2 notes is what makes it a tempered interval or not,=
 so there will be different frequencies for C depending on which interval=
 you decide is not tempered.

  For instance, a minor third from A4 to C5 untempered (pure 3rd tuning) =
would create a very different pitch for the C compared to one that is equ=
ally tempered.  You could calculate the pitches using simple ratios, as l=
ong as you know the frequency of the starting interval.

  So calculating all of the frequencies for "un tempered" notes is not re=
ally possible - every note will have a huge variety of frequencies, depen=
ding on which reference note you use to calculate the pitch.

  If you meant un-stretched tuning frequencies, there are charts for this=
, or the pitches can be calculated for an equal-tempered scale.

  Don Mannino RPT