Tuning Steinway Verticals

Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:32:54 +0200

Jeff Tanner wrote:

> I really don't understand this thread of hatred I'm hearing for Steinway
> products, and I certainly don't understand the overblown enthusiasm for
> lesser priced instruments which I've never seen stand up to the punishment
> the Steinway products can handle.
>
> Yes, Steinways are expensive, but they tend to pay for themselves.
> Jeff

Neither do I. Especially in the light of the apparent fact that it is a rather
self defeating tact to take in the first place. But to be fair. Some of the
criticism we hear is honest and fair enough.

I think too, some of it is pure frustration rooted out lashing. Lets face it...
Steinway has the markets ear, the reputation of being the best, and to THEE degree
dominant the concert venue market. It makes it tough for any newcomers to make
their mark.. regardless of how good they are. Still I think Steinway gets a rotten
deal on that mark.  It strikes me as more the fault of the mass produces of
inexpensive pianos that inhibit the creative newcomer more then Steinway.. but
that's just my opinion.

On the other hand again, .human kind is not more evolved then vast numbers of us
are perfectly capable of being just plain envious... or desiring to shoot down the
top guy... just to be able to say they did it.

Still, for my part, I would appreciate far less bashing in general... be it of a
particular manufacturer, or of each other. Thats not really what we're here for...
or what ?

RicB
--
Richard Brekne