Steinway "pinning" dilemma

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:00:41 EDT

Jim writes:
<< Who pays for any work? Steinway will say it's correct and not a
warrantee issue and the College won't cough up umpteen more dollars for
new pianos that they just paid over $500,000.00 for.
Catch 22? Maybe you're right and they'll just have to decide on what
they want. >>

Yes, they will.
     Your part?  I think you could explain this to the department head, and
after you follow the STeinway official procedures the piano faculty will tell
you if they think the pianos are acceptable.  If not, then maybe Steinway will
tell you to make it so.  I have been paid to repin and regulate brand new
pianos, almost always paid by the manufacturer.  If you do so, don't forget the
balanciers.  They have been erratic of late.
     You don't want to be in between the factory and the college's decision
makers. Just give'em the facts as you see it.  Make sure that the responsibilty
for a decision based on finances rather than finesse will be clearly owned
and it won't be you.  In time, the consumers may see the light and understand
the compromises, but that might just be idealism leaking out. (and keep your
reamers and pins handy!)
      I differ with the factory on their pinning.  They have a 150 year
history of pinning problems and I have 25 years of looking at the results. Recent
pianos are pinned by solution and if the thickness of the cloth is off,
problems show up a few humidity cycles later.  I see more of them tightening up than
the other way around. After a year or two of use, they can be pinned looser
with very little reaming and the results will make the piano owner your customer
for life.

   Regulation is the most profitable hourly time I can spend around my shop.
I do a lot of it.  I know that re-pinning works and that is a rather pricey
skill that I can and do sell.  Since consistancy is no less important than a
well bedded keyframe, setting up performance level actions requries even
pinning.  The other approaches always leave varied friction from pin to pin, aside
from wholesale missing the mark, at times.
Sell the best, you will ultimately end up with the best customers.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">