bobbling hammers, again

Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:03:59 +0200

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> Several months I asked about bobbling hammers in a grand. I discovered
> that the shank lenght was too long.
>
> I now have a similar problem with a D. But this time, I've rebuilt the
> action with new Steinway parts, (new h,s,f and wipps). There are three
> notes that are driving me nuts. Unless I really smack the note, the
> hammer doesn't want to check. They boble so bad that they hit the
> string on the rebound.

Bass notes ?? lowest area ?? or where ?

One thing I find often helps is firm hammer shank centers and making
sure the hammer is square to the strings. Check also that the shank is
not too flexible... rubber shank syndrom... can cause the hammer to
wobble so severely both up to and from impact that it never has a chance
to seat in the check.

This is never a whippen problem, and an adjustment of the rep lever
spring is never the answer to a checking problem. That is to say... as
long as the rep spring is within normal parameters to begin with.

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne