Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:11:45 -0700

Hi Jim, et al,

Great thread here. Though the dilemma remains. Does Eric say anything
specific regarding the "new" action other than teflon-impregnated bushings
(which is not new at all)? Like have there been any changes to geometry? Are
they still installing the capstan after locating the stack (i.e. in reverse
order)? Still insisting that the action spread is always 4.406" when in fact
it varies all over the place?

Part of the difficulty with Steinway, which I think is a reason for Steinway
bashing, is the percieved arrogance of the organization. Whether this is
real is not as important as the perception, and the company has done
precious little to cultivate the technicians in the field. Way too much
defensiveness and denial as a part of the Steinway culture when dealing with
production problems and with technicians in the field. This in stark
contrast to the way Kawai, Yamaha, Young Chang and others deal with
technicians. Has something to do with respect, yes? This coming from someone
who has attended a couple of their weeklong seminars and who really likes
their piano. I work on them and own one. I like em. But they do have
problems. I worked with a dealer here for years prepping these pianos. I was
in close contact with the factory about numerous problems. Very uneven
record in my book as to effectively dealing with production problems. The
thing is that many techs really like these pianos, but don't really enjoy
dealing with the company.

OK. That's off my chest.

Pinning. Lot's of good advice given. Still hard to make a decision. I don't
like "frictionless" actions for reasons of control and tone. I'd bet this is
a production decision - free actions don't result in as many complaints as
sluggish actions do - not a musical decision. But the fact that it has been
weighed off that way is really the problem. Reminds me of the era when there
were many actions weighed off that had overly tight balance rails. You
correct one problem, only to create another. What a mess. I'll be interested
to hear what you end up deciding to do.

Crown. When I deal with Steinway and like hammers, I treat them like Ron
Conors. Works for me, and is a very reliable and stable treatment. I know it
really turns the traditional theory on its head, but I like it. I don't,
however, buy the idea that it works on other types of hammers.

Bobbling. Great responses from a variety of sources. If I were to bet I'd
bet on tail arc and backcheck height as the culprits. Steinway are you
listening? There are some experienced people here with something to say.
Checking is one of those Steinway problems that won't go away. Try arcing
your tails at 2.5 or 3". With the proper arc, check height, and tail length
(at least 1 1/16"), checking will rarely be a problem.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I keep learning.

Alan
Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
509-359-4627