More wood, less pin. was Re: Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:48:33 EST

In a message dated 4/1/04 12:19:08 PM Central Standard Time,
davidskolnik@optonline.net writes:
Therefore, you are much better off tapping down the bridge pin than the
string.

But this assumes either that the pin is not already bottomed in the hole or
that you can safely drive the pin into the bridge body, like a nail.
There has been a lot of discussion about tapping the pin to create better
tone, less distortion, etc. But what are we doing? Is the better termination
caused because by tapping we are driving the pin deeper into the wood at the
bottom of the hole, thus creating a more stable pin, or are we shortening the tip
that sticks out, lessening the flag poling effect?

On a Yamaha upright recently I tapped the pins, and wound up driving them
down below the level of the strings. I had to release tension, and put the pin
back in, but it didn't bottom out. It almost makes me wonder if this might be
the case in other pianos.

So what is the real reason for tapping? More wood, or less pin?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician
School of Music