A 440 Hz Standard

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:07:44 -0400

The National Symphony Orchestra from Washington DC is giving a concert in
Oak Ridge TN on April 23.  Their manager has informed the ORCMA manager in
Oak Ridge that the piano must be tuned to A 442, and they even sent general
instructions about how and when to do it.  I'm just wondering:  What
orchestras are there out there that play at various different pitches other
than A=440 Hz, and what are those pitches?  If 442 is better than 440, why
then is 443 not better than 442, or 444, 445, 446, or even 447 not a lot
better than any of the former?  Once upon a time, I'm told, a yard was
equal to the distance between the king's nose and the tip of his
outstretched finger.  I'm glad we got beyond that.  Whatever happened to
the idea of standards, anyway?  It seems to me that some people just have
to be different.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis