Value of an old steinway vertical

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:34:42 -0400

Dear List-

I'm dealing with a difficult situation with a customer who has purchased =
an 1892 Steinway vertical on Ebay.

The piano has been restrung in the plain wire and repinned in the bass, =
"turning the bass strings."  The repinning was done with 4/0 pins with =
apparently no preparation of the holes in the pinblock.  Pin torque =
varies wildly, with many high treble pins over 225 inch pounds.  I =
cannot imagine now how to restring properly without replacing the =
pinblock. =20

Raising pitch 80 cents and tuning was miserably difficult, perhaps =
tuning will be manageable when the strings have stabilized....?=20

Refinishing is a thin black lacquer (were 1890's verticals done in =
ebony?), and the brass lock plate and pedals have been carefully =
polished.

Hammers have been re-shaped past regulation, key pins turned in the =
front bushings, and key covers glued to fit the notch, with the tips =
overhanging, and no shaping.

The customer had hopes of buying a piano that would become a family =
heirloom.  The seller told her the old bass strings were so good that =
they didn't need replacement, and that she could eventually complete the =
restoration with new hammers and dampers.

I would be interested in your opinions of what is the going value of an =
1892 Steinway vertical, rebuilt to very good playing and tuning =
condition, and what the purchase price of the instrument as it is should =
be.

Also I would appreciate your comments on the pinblock.

Thank you very much.

Ed Sutton