Dear Journal Readers

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:10:21 -0400

Dear Journal Readers,

Most of you are aware that I have been contracted by PTG to act as the
Journal’s Illustrator. This has been a job I have enjoyed immensely, in
large part due to the many e-mails and phone calls in which you have
expressed your kind support and friendly encouragement.  I can’t fully
express what this has meant to Chris and I over the last four years
except to say that your words help us to get through each month’s work
and ease us over the many rough spots along the way. I feel particularly
proud that the work I have been doing has helped to facilitate the many
of you who have written articles for the Journal and encourages others
to make plans to share their experiences with the membership of PTG.
Unfortunately, I find myself at an impasse that will make it impossible
for me to continue.

In the May issue of the Journal you will read in the “Executive Outlook”
a call for people interested in becoming the Journal’s Illustrator to
apply for the position. There is also an ad running toward the back of
the Journal stating the same. As of this date I have not been officially
notified by the home office of their intent to terminate my contract. I
find it totally unacceptable to continue to provide artwork for the
Journal while our Board of directors seeks my replacement.

 From what I hear from you, and can see with my own eyes, it is obvious
that the Journal is serving the membership better that ever before.
Advertising has substantially increased in the last four years which
goes a long way toward funding the artwork you now enjoy. Due to the
efforts of all of us working on the Journal you no longer expect it to
arrive weeks or even months late. Journal authors can now expect better
support than ever before. Their ideas will come to life with
professional quality illustration and photography. Articles are given
the full attention of a qualified graphic artist, Chris Hartman, so that
the artwork will blend perfectly with their words. I ask: what’s wrong
with the Journal and why does the Board now feel compelled to make these
changes?

While for the most part I enjoy this job very much, in the last two
years I have been burdened with the ill will of our executive Board.
Last year they charged Bob Hohf, our Journal editor, with the job of
searching for my replacement. This was done behind all of our backs. I
was extremely hurt by their actions and have not yet received any
explanation for their dissatisfaction with my performance. This activity
along with the complete lack of support from our PTG leaders over the
last two years has cast a dark shadow over all of us working to produce
the Journal.

There is a lot more I could go into but this letter is long enough as it
is. Contrary to how it may look in the May issue I have not quit this
job and for now I have not received my pink slip from the home office.
So I will continue on in this job in protest until our leaders make up
their minds to either stop harassing me or fire me outright.

Doing this job in protest will mean that I will not be creating
illustrations or taking high resolution photos for your articles. There
will not be any new high quality article layouts or custom made covers.
In short Chris and I will sit here doing nothing until our leaders make
up their minds. You should expect to begin seeing the results of these
changes in the July issue.

Again, thank you for your support and encouragement,

John Hartman
Chris Hartman

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin