Verdigris

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:53:24 -0400

In my opinion, there is only one sure way to get rid of the verdigris
problem if you don't what to install all new parts.  That is to remove the
old bushings, re-bush, and re-pin.  Everything else I have found is temporary.

If I were going to try to wash that stuff out, I'd go with xylene.  It's an
excellent solvent for gooey stuff.  It won't leave any goo of its own in
there, and it will wash out some of the stuff that makes the verdigris in
the first place.  The trouble is, if it stays too long and too much, it
will begin to dissolve the glue.  Also, it can't get all the old verdigris
out.  Some will be left.

For my part, I am opposed to putting any kind of stuff in bushings that's
going to leave any kind of goo in there - whether it's Wild Turkey, or
whatever.  That's why, if I'm applying a shrinking solution, I use the
purest grain alcohol I can buy, and distilled water.  That combination
leaves nothing behind that was not already there.  Still, regarding any
liquid, I'm concerned about what it's doing to the glue.

I don't know what's in those brand-name lubricants, and that's why I won't
use them on felt bushings.  Some lubricants will soak into the wood, and if
that happens, you can forget about ever re-bushing, because the new glue
won't stick to the wood.

About the only time you are going to re-bush action flanges is when it's an
antuque piano, and you must preserve the original parts.  If it's a
high-use modern piano like the ones most people on this list deal with, you
are going to replace worn parts anyway.  Besides, these are not the ones
that end up with verdigris in the first place.  So, for my part, if I
encounter verdigris, it either means new parts all the way, or else remove
the old bushings, re-bush, re-pin, and do it right.

The above is just my opinion.  Sincerely, Jim Ellis