Verdigris

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:30:36 -0700

Hi, Mayr,

At 02:55 PM 8/10/2004, you wrote:
>I think the tallow was used in the factory during a certain period.
>Gratefully, it didn't last long, but long enough to create many potential
>action rebuilds.

It wasn't tallow.  It was paraffin, in which the hammer and whippen support
flanges were soaked.  This was followed by a liberal application of whale
oil, usually during the final "tone regulation".  This treatment was used
in the factory from very early on until some indeterminate time after WWII
(I've seen it in production instruments as late as the mid-50's).  Yes, I
know there are differing opinions on when these things started and stopped.

I fully concur with Jim (infra), by the way...the only real fix for these
parts is to throw them away and start over...anything else is an exercise
in futility and wasted time.

Best.

Horace