treble hammer quandary

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:29:02 EDT

Jon
  I agree with your assessment. I just had a similar situation & I  did as
you suggest & it works fine. The line your concerned with is the true  one to
take into account  The majority of the bottom/tail will get shaped  & there will
be no down side. I do not beleve the wood is warped from  moisture but there
is a lot of pressure on those thin top moldings in the  press.
  I installed a set on a Yam C-3 & they sound really good. I'll  know more
today.

   Regards
   Dale Erwin:

Here's a  photo of the top hammer of a set of Ronsen Wurzen felt hammers.
The molding  is warped slightly which diminishes through the entire top
section.
The  last/f(irst to me) set had not so many warped but there were enough
extras  to eliminate them.
(92 count as opposed to 90)

I'm inclined to drill  perpendicular to the line and install the head with
the bulk towards the  rear
thereby removing more material in the tail arcing procedure for  maximum
weight reduction.
I may or may not use a Forstner bit to cut in  a cove depending on weight
but it really removes
so little as to  probably be not with the effort.

Just wanted to bounce this off  y'all,

Jon Page