Bourbon, sl OT

Dorothy Bell dabell58@earthlink.net
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:48:13 -0400

Dear Friends,

Fascinating thread. One almost forgets about the pianos.

As far as the chemistry:
    The "active ingredient" in all booze is ethanol; the proof number divided by 2 is the percentage of ethanol in a (mostly) water solution. Ethanol is a water-like compound with a little bit of an oily tail. (Water: H-O-H; Ethanol: H(3) C- H(2)C - OH.) The similarity of the -OH groups is what makes ethanol and water mix easily. The oily tail (the carbon chain) of the ethanol can soak into the resinated wood more easily than plain water, and it pulls the water right along with it and you get your wetting effect. Eventually the ethanol and water will evaporate.
    The brown boozes (bourbon, whiskey, whisky) in addition have coloring material (which I know nothing about, but I bet that a lot of it is in the gunk on the bar that Chris mentions) and some very small amounts of other chemicals called aldehydes and ketones, which are similar in structure and behavior to nail polish remover (acetone-family things). They may serve as wetters or lubricants, I don't really know. If they do so act, they would evaporate more slowly than the ethanol and water. I also know that when I used to drink (and everyone is very glad I gave it up some years ago), bourbon was the only booze that made me cry for no reason. I have great respect for those aldehydes and ketones.

Just as public health information, ethanol is absorbed through the skin and through the nasal passages. This is why I wouldn't carry it with me in my kit, because I might use it and breathe it. For some people this is not a problem, for some it is. I appreciated Isaac's comments in this regard.

Just about any chemical solvent can damage the liver if breathed in great quantities. But we knew that.

Best regards,
Dorrie Bell
(chemist, RN, PTG Associate)