Moving Knuckle position with the Kaplan Jig

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:18:34 -0700

Might I suggest that Roland should be the one to determine the market =
introduction on this jig.  If it is his ingenuity that developed the =
jig, he should be making some money off of it.  Too often in this =
business, good ideas get copied, modified & marketed, & the one who did =
all the leg-work gets left in the dust.  Be sure to keep him in the =
driver's seat.  That may have been your intention Dale, but just a =
reminder.

Thanks,

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; caut@ptg.org ; Live2drive15@aol.com=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 5:45 PM
  Subject: Moving Knuckle position with the Kaplan Jig

      List=20

    I thought I'd post an update of this project.
     Last month I posted about needing to move knuckles on a few sets of =
shanks. All were renner parts for stwys with the 15.5 mm knuckle to =
center pin distance. This part is almost always a recipe for a heavy =
touch unless extremely light hammers are used or prepped. =20
     The jig I used is made by Roland Kaplan R.T.T. of San Jose. He was =
quite generous & loaned it to me for experimentation & to copy if I =
wish. I do.
     This simple jig is very accurate & very quick Making both =
economical to do in terms of time & dollars. I spent 10 minutes setting =
it up & getting familiar with the function. After cutting  a few dozen =
myself I turned it over to My bright & ever capable 17 yr. old son =
Jacob. Kinda proud
     He took a complete set of shanks & removed all the knuckles on the =
bandsaw . Time 25 minutes. Then he wnet straight to the jig. Time to cut =
all the slots & in one pass , 20 minutes.
    Then he glued in the new parts in about 40 minutes. Total time About =
1 & 1/2 hr.. Tokiwa knuckles are $125.00 & Renners are $145.00 Plus =
Jacob's time
     Once the jig is set up the craftsmen made blade I used cut a =
perfectly fit slot for both Tokiwa & Renner knuckles. It only tore out a =
small corner of the original rosewood molding. A slower movement =
eliminated this.
    Safety:
      I added some small safety rails to prevent any Exposure of the =
operator to the blade. I'm going to copy the jig & make only minor =
modifications.
     I realize this is a job one doesn't do very often But considering =
the cost of parts at about $400ish plus the hammers & prep, etc., it can =
save the client a ton & you can be the hero.  If the hammers that came =
on the shanks with wrong dimensioned knuckle placement are worth reusing =
the jig allows for that option as well which really save the cost of =
half an action rebuild.

    How many of us would be interested in a jig like this? Let me know. =
What would it be worth to purchase a premade jig from Spurlock or Farrel =
or anyone willing to make it.? Just curious
    Cheers
     Dale Erwin