Steinway music desk repair/upgrade

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:55:09 +0200

Dale, Are really the screws not stucked ? did you try to unscrew them ? I
use small shoe pegs for that (too common) repair , but the epoxy seem
appealing.
Thanks for providing this.

Isaac

 -----Message d'origine-----
De : caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]De la part de
Erwinspiano@aol.com
Envoye : dimanche 15 aout 2004 07:16
A : pianotech@ptg.org; caut@ptg.org
Objet : Steinway music desk repair/upgrade

  Listers & college techs
   Last month I posted about beefing up the wood fibers in the 24 small
screw holes that hold the older style stwy music rack to the desk by
inserting a bit of epoxy in the holes, spraying the screws with mold release
& reinserting them. The mold release is so the screws can be taken
out,tightened  or serviced at a later date
  In conjunction with that I have now added the nice strong folding brace
found in the Schaff cat. Part no.940-w called desk support. It is a far
better set up than the folding metal stick with collar type it inserts in &
far more permanent. Easy to locate & attach
   The 940-w is very similar to the support on all new stwys & I guarantee
it will keep the screws from becoming loose & stripped from heavy books &
players of all ages pressing the pages hard against the rack. This will now
be sop on every stwy rebiuild. No more service calls with the rack laying in
the piano & screws all over the place. Know what I mean?
   Regards,
   Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.