Fwd: Renner blues coming unglued

Alan Crane alan.crane@wichita.edu
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 06:54:17 -0500

>In a message dated 8/14/2004 6:05:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, Erwinspiano
>writes:
>  List
>    I have a set of USA Renner blue hammers that are coming unglued fron
> the molding below the staple & up to the underfelt. Any one else
> expereince this ? The hammers are 8 years old & never been juiced.
>    Dale

Hi Dale,

Yes we've had that situation here at WSU.
It was on a set purchased from RennerUSA in 1992 and installed that year on
a S&S-A in a classroom.
About five years after installation, some of the low tenor hammers began
coming unglued from the moldings.
I told Lloyd Meyer about it and he sent me another complete set, no
questions asked (and no explanation offered).
Initially, because of time constraints, I only replaced the offending
hammers and, every so often, a few more would let go and I'd have to
replace those.
One of these days, I'll get around to installing the remainder of the
replacement set (the piano isn't in a high-use area so I'm not *too*
worried about uneven wear from set to set in this case).

I assume this condition to be fairly rare, probably owing to some isolated
problem with their glue (or glue-er) at the time.
Yours is the only other problem set I've heard about, thus far.
Ours was purchased direct from RennerUSA; whether or not yours dates from
the same period in their manufacturing might be hard to determine given the
rather long "shelf-life" sets of hammers enjoy sometimes.

Regards,

Alan B. Crane,  RPT
School of Music
Wichita State University