BACK ON TOPIC-Band Instrument Repair

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:47:34 -0400

I found the NAPBIRT site interesting.  I found some statements in their
"purchase guide" brochure particularly applicable to our craft. This
NAPBIRT purchase guide is free to download, print and distribute (or
NAPBIRT members can purchase slick versions for distribution):

*  "Just as with everything else your child expresses an interest in,
your attitude, support and involvement are important to his or her
ability to succeed in music.  This includes offering ongoing support
and encouragement, of course.  And it also means providing an
instrument that is in proper working condition to make playing music as
easy as possible."

*  "Nothing discourages a child from playing music more quickly than an
instrument that doesn't play well - and a bad instrument is a very bad
reason for any child to lose interest in music."

*  "Sadly, there are instruments on the market today that are so poorly
designed and constructed that they hinder progress and discourage even
the most "naturally gifted" musical students."

I think statements similar to these would be quite appropriate for a
similar literature offering from PTG.  I believe that the single most
common reason piano students don't "stick with it" is that they are
stuck with a sub-par piano.  My recollection is that we don't currently
have any language in any of our brochures which addresses this issue.

Jeff

On Monday, August 16, 2004, at 02:56 PM, David Ilvedson wrote:

> Try http://65.254.80.85/
>
> National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair
> Technicians.   I was reading at their site and found a mention of the
> shortage of band instrument repairers.
>
> David I.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available