stolen tools - security

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:07:29 -0500

Fred & list,

Sorry about all the problems. I "could" have been in the same situation
recently. Someone, unbelievably, managed to make off with two sets of keys
from the main office suite. One was from the desk of the Assistant Director
of the dept. and the other from another office in the same suite.

They both had sub-masters on them which, like mine, would get anyone into
almost every room in the building. But these also had keys to all the
outside doors, the office suite, and both of performace hall, too.

So, starting that evening, the building has been locked at about 5 AM and
security at only one door for anyone who needed to get in. To do so, they
had to show their ID & sign in & out. On weekends, the doors were locked
with security there 24 hrs.

They finally finished rekeying the entire building this past weekend! The
last I heard the cost estimate was app. $10,000.00 for the rekeying & the
security guards. And this is with the university people doing the rekeying.

Thankfully though, because of the quick action preventing it, as far as
I've heard nothing has been stolen during this time.

Avery