strings on deplex

Alan Crane alan.crane@wichita.edu
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:15:17 -0500

Wim,
I checked two of our Ds here at WSU.

One from the 1960s (which has been restrung) has only 3 - 4 "bumps" on the
aliquot bars with only two strings on them (and in each case its only
because the third string is barely misses to one side).  All the rest have
three strings across them.

The other D (c. 1984), which still has the factory stringing, has three
strings on all but three aliquot "bumps".
Of those, two are in the high treble and have only two strings due to near
misses by the third string.
The third is at the very end of the lowest aliquot bar, right at the
tenor/mid-range break (no plate strut) where the aliquot "bump" is
exceptionally wide and has *five* strings running across it from three
hitch pins (the middle string is tied at the hitch pin).

I wouldn't say the above is definitive information but FWIW...

Best of luck with the client.

At 04:38 PM 8/17/04, Wim wrote:
>How important is it to have only three strings on each bump of the duplex
>on a D? I restrung a D, and some bumps have 4 strings, some are just
>barely off to one side, but on the next bump. The customer is claiming I
>ruined her piano.
>
>Wim
>Willem Blees, RPT
>Piano tuner/technician