[CAUT] Re: Tuning, etc.

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:30:15 EST

In a message dated 12/1/04 9:12:41 A.M. Central Standard Time,
claviers@nxs.net writes:

There is  no certain tuning that will sound good on all pianos.  The
"stretch"  that is necessary for one piano will make another piano sound
wild, and the  clean tuning that will sound beautiful on one will make
another sound  dead.  And this puts us right back to what Don Wigent said.
It's all a  matter of knowing what to apply, where to apply it, and how to
do  it.

Jim Ellis

It's the stretch factor which is the reason for the large tolerances built
into the tuning exam. 6 cents errors in both the bass and high treble are a
lot.

As far as stability, I wasn't suggesting we need to pound the daylights out
of the string to test for stability. I was merely explaining that I did this
to  get the pianos stabilized in the first place. The previous tuner at UA
never did that. It is presumed the exam piano will have been stabilized before
the tuning exams are given.

But I would like to see more than just the middle two octaves tested. I
suggested the examinee tune all the C, F, and A on the piano for unisons and
stability. There is a big difference in tuning for stability in the upper  octaves
than on the lower ones. This would show the tuner knows how.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Wim