[CAUT] Test Standards (was Steinway stretch)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:46:39 -0700

Hi Jeff and Susan,
	I didn't really intend to get into talking about the PTG test per se, and
I don't want to go very far in that direction in this forum, but I _will_
point out that the stability test as currently administered shouldn't be
affected much by temperature instability you two mentioned. Stability isn't
taken from a measurement of pitch "where you put it initially" (to the
extent that would be possible), but rather pitch is measured just prior to
dropping "thumper" on the key (or emulating it with finger) and then
measured again immediately after. So what the change in temperature did
shouldn't have much effect on the measured stability. (And, BTW, I'll just
note here that I agree with Jim Ellis that the "thump" is of greater force
than it should be. I would favor more blows of lesser intensity, FWIW).
	The point I was initially wanting to make had more to do with focus. What
do we focus on in seeking a quality tuning, and why. I was trying to note
the fact that much of the literature produced through PTG over the past
couple decades, a good deal of it in connection with the tuning test, has
tended to look most closely at finer and finer gradations of equal
temperament. This is a fairly natural development in connection with the
tuning test, as that is what is tested to the greatest degree. I want to
make plain that I think the tuning test developed by Coleman and Sanderson
was a brilliant creation, and led - finally - to tuners being able to talk
to one another about what they did in a productive way.
	But the down side is that, in what I will call a well-intentioned but
misguided effort to raise standards, most of the focus has been on
nit-picking the precise progression of intervals, to the detriment of
looking at the piano as a whole, and of being damned certain unisons are
clean and solid. In helping people learn to pass the test, they are given
the impression that this is where the priorities lie.
	PTG is pretty much the only game in town. Steinway presents one of the
only counterbalancing independent "authorities" with any credibility. I
find it interesting that the "unofficial Steinway culture," as recently
described by Boaz, continues to hold with not sweating the 10ths and 17ths,
favoring the 5ths, stretching much more than is generally deemed acceptable
within many if not most "PTG circles," and calling the stable unison king.
Of course there are several within PTG, quite notably Jim Coleman, who say
exactly the same thing.
	My real desire is to get people to talk about what they do and why, in
very specific terms. What _does_ constitute a top quality tuning? Why? Says
who? I am particularly interested in what musicians and discerning musical
audiences think. Because that's who we tune for, not each other.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Thursday, December 2, 2004 11:34 AM -0500 Jeff Tanner