[CAUT] Fw: mystery center pinning

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 23:32:00 -0500

I believe what you have are parts behaving according to current genuine Steinway factory standards, i.e. "swing as many times as possible as long as there is no wobble side to side."
Others of greater authority than I will either confirm or demolish this statement.

Ed S.

----- Original Message -----
From: Barbara Richmond
To: College and University Technicians
Sent: 12/3/2004 11:17:25 PM
Subject: [CAUT] Fw: mystery center pinning

Yet another question, folks,

I had to repin all the Steinway shanks I recently installed.  When they came, they were the best examples of perpetual motion machines I had ever seen.  Well, golly, almost all of them have loosened up again!--not to their original state, but much looser than I find acceptable. (The piano got used a couple of times while work was in progress.)   Dang, I've never had this happen before---am I in the twilight zone?  I couldn't believe my eyes.  Would shrinking the cloth help before I pin....again?   I do have plenty of high quality bushing cloth on hand.......groan.

Also, I was surprised the first time I repinned to find that the center pins were all .052.  That seemed sort of big for original pinning.  I replaced them with .053.  Now I feel like I'm going to end up using telephone poles to get them right.  Here I thought I was almost done with this job and now this......  :-(

Help!

Barbara Richmond, RPT