[CAUT] lacquer

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:16:10 -0600

--Apple-Mail-3--673481373

[Caught in the filters:]

From: Don McKechnie <dmckech@ithaca.edu>
Date: December 3, 2004 1:21:10 PM CST
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: lacquer

List,

Not long ago there was a thread on lacquer. There was some discussion
about water white nitrocellulose but there was no mention on where to
obtain it. I looked around the area and no stores handle water white
nitrocellulose. This lead me to the web. Here is a link with a basic
description if you are interested:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Water_white_lacquers.html

I'm not an expert on web searches so it was impossible for me to find
any distributors of this product in the east. I did find the product
and a distributor in CA. The product is from US Cellulose and the
distributor is Liberon Supply. Here is a page from their site:

http://www.liberonsupply.com/USCBase.html

Unfortunately one cannot buy anything smaller than a gallon. The price
is reasonable for the gallon but with the shipping and HASMAT fee it
costs $47.63. Well what the heck, I bought one!

The gallon arrived yesterday so I have not had a chance to try some
hammer hardening with it. The solids are 24% by weight and it is fairly
clear. Mixed with thinner it looks very clear. Eric Schandall was here
for a visit last week (another story) and he gave me a bit of the
Steinway mix that is unavailable to us. Attached is a pic of four
bottles with different hardeners. From the left, the first is standard
nitrocellulose lacquer from most hardware stores, next is the Steinway
mix(3:1), US Cellulose mix (5:1) and finally the acetone mix from the
Pianotek pellets. If the reproduction on your screen is accurate, the
US Cellulose is the most clear of the four.

The information from the woodweb site says that water white will yellow
with time. Of course that is on wood applications. It will be
interesting to see how the hammers will look in time. How much time is
anyone's guess.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College

--Apple-Mail-3--673481373