[CAUT] Fw: mystery center pinning

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:47:04 -0700

At 01:34 PM 12/4/2004 -0800, you wrote:

>Putting on my flame suit...

Whatever for, Horace? <G>

>The same way you have had to regulate them since they screwed around with
>the backchecks in the mid - late 80's, and the voicing since not long
>after that...that is, with a smaller and smaller range and domain of
>control and usability...which is, of course, just fine, so long as
>everyone who plays the instrument is largely interested in the keys as
>on/off switches, with smaller usable dynamic range and decreased tonal
>pallette...
>
>not, of course, that I have any opinions on the subject...
>
>Best.
>
>Horace

It seems like that almost all of the regulating classes I've ever been to
have one common goal. Control. Fly-away is just... well.... like the
difference between pool and air hockey. Mind you, when I was selling
Baldwins, I HAD to know all the rational for "heavy" touch. But... I
believe most of them myself. I've seen too many students raised on spinets
or fly-away imports wind up with a totally compressed dynamic range. Kind
of like standard FM broadcasts, and the signal compressors we used to use
for live rock gigs.

On the other hand, Horace..... there's a terrific concert pianist that we
both know who has informed me that she can "adapt" to fly-away much easier
than to heavy. Her "C" was at about 72g when I first met it. Go figure.

Personally, even without wobble, I find there to be a tonal sacrifice with
more than 6 or 7 swings, or less than 4 grams. Whichever. Especially in the
lower range. Super-loose also makes it difficult for me to get the spring
the way I like it.  My vote is still for 4-6 swings, no more, all the way
up through the killer octave. The top octave can fly a little, if
everything else is happy. Makes "tinkling" a bit .... more... tinkle-y.

JMHO,
Later,
Guy