[CAUT] lacquer

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:09:22 EST

In a message dated 12/4/2004 11:59:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
solliday@ptd.net writes:
   Chris
   Well said I,ve used this method for years.  If  there is not some solution
over the top of the hammer the  tone doesn't develop where it needs to go
,epecially in a concert situation. If you have the luxury of a heavy  player in a
non concert setting then play in time will help develop  the sound without
lacquers  but if the top is truly too soft the solution  is a great & instant
tonal benifit. The top & tone is easily  maintained in this case as long as  the
solution isn't too thick for the  inherent density of the felt. Does that
make any sense?
  Dale

I absolutely defer to Eric S's teaching on the subject, but I think you  will
find a different practice in C&A, and my current use of whatever  chemical
hardener is some directly on the strke point only, and let it  fall over night
to the core point, then voice with needles. This, in my  limited experience, is
the most effecient approach. I don't want to get into a  long debate but no
one else has put this forward in this thread and at  least a few of us are
doing this for several years now with a good measure  of success. Have fun,

Chris  Solliday