[CAUT] lacquer

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:46:20 EST

By The way & for the record
   I would not use acrylic lacquer  on hammers. It is a plastized form of
lacquer that takes a long time to get hard  & quite a sticky material.. I use it
on my plate finish mixed with bronzing  powders & it is wionderfully idiot
proof. Hey I'm usin it. It doesn't chip  easily & gives a nice clear top coating
too.
   Dale Erwin

Charles  & Horace,

This is interesting. The first place I went was  Sherwin-Williams. I called
first to ask if they had water white nitro and was  told yes. When I stopped by
the store the fellow brought out a can of water  white CAB-Acrylic lacquer. I
ask for the spec sheet as I was suspicious of the  formulation. It is similar
to nitrocellulose but not the same as explained in  the Sherwin-Williams spec
sheet and in the link I sent to the list. (I found  that link after visiting
Sherwin-Williams) Not wanting to take chances, I  asked if water white nitro
was available through the store and was given the  answer "there is no such
thing as water white nitrocellulose lacquer." Well,  technically yes if one goes
by the description in the aforementioned link but  we know better. :-) Anyway,
I would be interested in knowing exactly what the  label says on the product
you purchased from Sherwin-Williams.

Horace,  I will let you know how the tone turns out as soon as I get the
chance.

Don