[CAUT] Practice Room Piano Benches

Elwood Doss edoss@utm.edu
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:45:52 -0600

While this piano bench thread is active, let me tell you about our
practice room piano benches.  We purchased new Baldwin Studio pianos for
our practice rooms-please, no comments about the quality of the
pianos-about 5 years ago and year before last the custodian for our
building started bringing broken benches into my shop.  I do check the
tightness of the bolts on a regular basis-snug, but not too tight--but
the students began bending the bracket that the leg screw tightens on.
After about 3 had shown up in the shop, the Chair asked me to look into
purchasing new benches to replace them.  I suggested benches with
stretchers on them-they were about twice the cost of  the regular type
of benches.  When they came in I took a look at the stretchers and
thought, "I can do that to the broken benches here in my shop."  Sure
enough, I designed one, used very dense wood from Africa, some good wood
screws and glue and went to work.  It worked so well, my work study
students ended up retrofitting stretchers on all the practice room
pianos.   They have held up beautifully, and no custodian meeting me at
the door holding a bench with a crooked leg!

=20

Now I'm sure all of you old heads do this all the time, but it was an
idea that paid dividends and saved the Department several thousand
dollars in new bench costs!  No, I didn't get the surplus as check
bonus!

=20

Joy!

Elwood