[CAUT] Practice Room Piano Benches

Elwood Doss, Jr. edoss@utm.edu
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:31:38 -0600

Re: [CAUT] Practice Room Piano BenchesI'll take some and send them out!
Thanks,
Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr., RPT
Piano Technician/Technical Director
Department of Music
145 Fine Arts Building
University of Tennessee at Martin
Martin, TN  38238
731-881-1852
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ken Zahringer=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 11:52 AM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Practice Room Piano Benches

  Elwood,

  Sounds like a great idea.  How about a picture or drawing, so I can be =
a copycat?

  Ken Z
  --=20
  Ken Zahringer, RPT
  Piano Technician
  University of Missouri School of Music
  297 Fine Arts Bldg
  Columbia, MO 65211
  573-882-1202
  cell 573-489-7529

  On 12/9/04 11:45 AM, "Elwood Doss" <edoss@utm.edu> wrote:

    While this piano bench thread is active, let me tell you about our =
practice room piano benches.  We purchased new Baldwin Studio pianos for =
our practice rooms-please, no comments about the quality of the =
pianos-about 5 years ago and year before last the custodian for our =
building started bringing broken benches into my shop.  I do check the =
tightness of the bolts on a regular basis-snug, but not too tight--but =
the students began bending the bracket that the leg screw tightens on.  =
After about 3 had shown up in the shop, the Chair asked me to look into =
purchasing new benches to replace them.  I suggested benches with =
stretchers on them-they were about twice the cost of  the regular type =
of benches.  When they came in I took a look at the stretchers and =
thought, "I can do that to the broken benches here in my shop."  Sure =
enough, I designed one, used very dense wood from Africa, some good wood =
screws and glue and went to work.  It worked so well, my work study =
students ended up retrofitting stretchers on all the practice room =
pianos.   They have held up beautifully, and no custodian meeting me at =
the door holding a bench with a crooked leg!
    =20
    Now I'm sure all of you old heads do this all the time, but it was =
an idea that paid dividends and saved the Department several thousand =
dollars in new bench costs!  No, I didn't get the surplus as check =
bonus!
    =20
    Joy!
    Elwood