[CAUT] Practice Room Piano Benches

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:54:23 -0500

On Thursday, December 9, 2004, at 02:33 PM, Elwood Doss, Jr. wrote:

> Hey Jeff,
> If you have male work-study students available to you, train them to=20=

> rebuild the benches.=A0

Hey Elwood,
Our shop really doesn't have the tools, either.  I've had a student=20
assistant for 4 years, but he's about to be off to graduate school=20
somewhere.  I haven't decided if I'm going to try to replace him or=20
not.  He's been such a great help with tuning and repairing pianos,=20
particularly tuning the uprights for me - even the faculty members=20
don't realize I've not been not tuning their uprights.  I don't know if=20=

I feel like training another student again, and then losing him after a=20=

few years, worrying about how much I can trust them with around the=20
shop, etc.  I have to admit, it's gonna be kinda nice having the office=20=

all to myself for a while again.  We'll see.

These benches don't just bend the brackets.  They break the wood out=20
with the bracket when the leg goes.  The break is so similar from bench=20=

to bench that you can almost glue them back together interchangeably.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music
University of South Carolina=

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...