[CAUT] Practice Room Piano Benches

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:08:13 -0700

Hi Don,
	Sounds very much like something Newton Hunt wrote about a few years ago:

"I still say the students should have a wooden box to sit upon.
15x17x19" or any other three dimensions you choose.  Cheap,
"adjustable", replaceable, nearly indestructible and if "uglified"
properly will never walk away.

I got this idea from some boxes with one open side that they dance
students were using as dance props.  I sat uponm one realized that it
was strong and if all sides were closed it would make a simple, cheap
and adjustable piano b(ox)ench.

3/8" plywood with 3/4" cleats, glued and nailed and painted bright
primary colors with some holes drilled in stragic places for easy
rotating.

                Newton"

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Thursday, December 9, 2004 4:26 PM -0500 "Wigent, Donald E"
<WIGENTD@MAIL.ECU.EDU> wrote:

> Hellow this is Don Wigent at East Carolina U.  We have
> A bench thing here as well and up to now we have ben bying benches with
> stretchers and they work well but after a time they get loose.  I have
> ben thinking of a simple bench that would be made like a box so it could
> not get loose.  If the dementions were just so you could get max use out
> of a sheet of plywood. The top would not raise and it would have 2 by2
> posts in the corners and would be scrooedand glooed together it could
> never creak or get loose.They could be made cheaply. It is just an
> thought.  What do you think.

Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico