[CAUT] Practice Room Piano Benches

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:03:36 -0600

Last year we purchased 10 of the Jansen "Petite" benches for our piano
major practice rooms (grands).  I chained each bench to the pianos so we
still have them!  These benches have the same mechanism as the regular
Jansen artist benches, but the top is slightly smaller, and has a
buttoned down vinyl rather than the tuck-and-roll of the others.  They
are nearly $100.00 cheaper than the regular ones and have held up very
well.  I'm pleased.

We bought 7 adjustable benches before that from Steigerman Benchworld.
They were made in China, and while economical they got wobbly in the
first month.  In a year they were ready for the fireplace.  Cheap isn't
always cheap.

dave

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Richard Brekne
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 2:39 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Practice Room Piano Benches

We at the University of Bergen are just about ready to replace 30
adjustable benches and are leaning heavily towards the Japanese
adjustable chair type instead of benches. The adjustment mechanism seems

very simple and durable, and they do not cost more then some of the
mid-range to less expensive benches. Our experience at the conservatory
here is that benches generally last about 6 months before they are
creaking, squeeking, and making all manner of noises. The amount of
service required to keep them quiet becomes quickly too time consuming
for our purposes.

Your suggestion then intriques and I would like to know more before we
go further. Would you have any pictures or diagrams to show exactly what

your solution is ?

Cheers
RicB