[CAUT] benches

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:46:46 -0600

Jon:

The mechanism is not hard to rebuild.  It's just a matter of replacing
all those bushings that are designed to wear (so the other parts won't).
They'll sell a set of bushings for a bench for something like $10.00.

dave

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Jon Page
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 9:40 AM
To: caut-ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] benches

I have re-up'd quite a few artist benches, sans tufting.
I see no need for those dirt-catchers if you use a firm enough foam.

Cut the vinyl a few inches up from the piping, replace the foam.
Prep the new cover by making the folded edges with double-sided tape.
Punch holes for the screw shank.
Apply double-sided tape to the bench above the piping to secure the
cover.
Tack down the cover on the ends. Then tack the cover on the long sides.
If you measure out tack placement you can get a nice looking job out of
it.

Here's what I would be really like for a replacement top...(which I'll
try
on my next victim)
1/4" to 3/8" plywood base with a foam pad and upholstered such that it
would
maintain seat height once the old foam is removed and this new top
affixed
to the bench.
The old vinyl would be cut so as to fold over and be stapled to the
frame
surface. Then the new
padded seat can be place on top and held on with screws from underneath.

I mentioned this to Jansen but Bill said they prefer to rebuild the
mechanism (replace bushings)
when replacing the cover. This is about $150 or $175 plus shipping.

Recovering as detailed above takes 1.5 to 2 hrs depending on acquired
skills. The Pop-Top
could be made in advance (.5 hr) and secured in a few minutes, now
there's
an enterprise
for some entrepreneur.  Heck, the next time I make one... I'll make a
bunch.

Regards,

Jon Page