[CAUT] New Ivory ethical questions

Jeff Oslon jlolson@cal.net
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:43:49 -0800

I recently became aware that new ivory is back on the market -- supposedly
legal -- again.  Does anyone here have any knowledge of the source of this
ivory, or thoughts on the ethical questions (assuming some of the ivory
might be harvested from elephants, which I personally wouldn't want to be a
part of).

This came up in conjunction with a Steinway rebuild project, where the
customer requested new ivories, and pointed out that they are now available
legally (in a limited way, apparently, according to my online searches).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff