[CAUT] New Ivory ethical questions

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:04:28 EST

In a message dated 12/10/2004 7:44:36 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jlolson@cal.net writes:

I  recently became aware that new ivory is back on the market -- supposedly
legal -- again.  Does anyone here have any knowledge of the source of  this
ivory, or thoughts on the ethical questions (assuming some of the  ivory
might be harvested from elephants, which I personally wouldn't want  to be a
part of).

This came up in conjunction with a Steinway  rebuild project, where the
customer requested new ivories, and pointed out  that they are now available
legally (in a limited way, apparently,  according to my online searches).

Any  thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

>From what I have been told, and I might be mistaken, is that it is  still
illegal to import ivory.  There are some piano technicians  who have gone to the
trouble of removing ivories from older pianos, and  reconditioning them to
look like new. There are also a lot of older pianos that  still have ivory
keytops, and the whole piano is restored, with new parts and  a new finish, but with
the original ivories still in tact.

Wim

Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Technician